Church History

In 1913, a group of men and women gathered with the God-given desire to begin a Baptist fellowship in the community of Center Point. The new church was organized on January 4, 1914 with 35 charter members. The original structure was a small, white frame building that faced the Center Point Highway, at that time an unpaved road.

As this family of faith continued to grow, new facilities became necessary. In March 1968, it was decided that a new worship center would be constructed, and on Easter morning, April 6, 1969, over 1,800 people gathered for worship as that dream became a reality.

Early on January 6, 1982, the original chapel was tragically destroyed by fire. This setback, however, proved temporary, and only served to strengthen the faith and vision of our people. Soon thereafter, plans were underway to build a new education and office suite. On September 25, 1983, this facility was first used by our members for Bible study.

Since its inception, First Baptist Church of Center Point has been a family of vision and passion. We have been a flagship church in the past by pioneering Bus Ministry, Recreation Ministry, and Weekday Education Ministry.

Our Pastors
1914-1916Rev. J.G. Lowery
1916-1918Rev. Jim Faulks
1919Rev. Darden
1919-1922Rev. Parker
1922-1924Rev. Walter Earl
1924-1935Rev. T.C. Walden
1936Rev. T.J. Halfacre
1937-1939Rev. George Tidwell
1939-1944Rev. L.W. Stamps
1944-1947Rev. Lee Franklin
1948-1956Rev. S.H. Guyton
1957-1961Rev. James H. Butler
1962-1978Rev. Ralph D. Feild
Dr. Mabry Lunceford (interim)
1978-1981Dr. J. Todd Zeigler
Dr. Siguard Bryan (interim)
Rev. Howard Wells (interim)
1983-1995Rev. Don Graham
Dr. Edgar Arendall (interim)
1996-2004Dr. Ryan Whitley
Dr. Barry Howard (interim)
Rev. Raymond Eugene (Gene) Ennis (interim)
2005-2012Dr. Bobby Earls
Dr. Buddy McGohon (interim)
October 2014-PresentDr. David Haynes


First Baptist Church of Center Point • 1945 Center Point Parkway • Birmingham, AL 35215 • (205) 853-1410